reasons why breeders with years of experience choose Hereford and Poll
Hereford cattle are many and varied but some of the key factors are
- Fertility - more important than either growth or
carcass traits when it comes to the economics of breeding. Herefords
exhibit excellent fertility traits.
- Size and growth - especially in the early growth stages contribute
to operating a low-cost feed program to obtain ideally sized cows.
- Weight gain - due to the breed's proven ability to gain rapidly on
less feed means optimum weight is achieved quickly.
- Quality and consistency of carcass ensure that markets
for Hereford's remain consumer driven.
- Dispositon - A gentle nature ensures the breed is easy to handle
and manage meaning they will feed well in a range of environments.
- Muscle development - tests have shown that the
Hereford breed produces moderate to optimum muscle meaning that condition
is maintained more easily.
- Market performance - consistent high market performance gives an
economic advantage to breeders that can be boosted by the white face
- Breed development - being such an economic breed to produce ensures
ongoing breed development to stay with market trends over the long
- Consistency of calving year after year with fast
growth to market weight makes Hereford's a dependable breed.
- Economics - for all the reasons above Herefords
continue to be a leading breed for economic stability.